Unless you have spent your life living under a rock, you have no doubt had to barbecue at some point in time. Everybody has tried both delicious and lousy barbecue. However, knowing what good barbecue tastes like and doing it yourself are two completely different things. If you want to have a good barbecue, then it starts with having the right tools. You are also going to need to know how to use them.
Where to Buy Them
You can probably get most of your barbecue tools from the same place you bought your barbecue or gas grill. Home Improvement stores will have all kinds of barbecue equipment on the shelves when spring rolls around. If you live in the south where barbecue is a cultural phenomenon, there are stores dedicated to grill and barbecue accessories. Not only will they have the basics, but they will also have some pretty neat things for your barbecue like different rubs for your meat.
What You Need
Barbecuing doesn’t require you to have a cupboard or even a drawer full of tools, but here are a couple of basics that you will need to make the perfect dinner.
- Basting Brushes: If you cook on the grill regularly then at some point you’re going to want to get yourself a good set of basting brushes. Basting is a crucial part of making barbecue taste delicious. Get a set of brushes in different sizes so you can use them for different cuts of meat.
- Grilling Tongs: You may think you don’t need them because you can get by with using a fork or a spatula. But tongs will keep you from burning your hands when trying to flip meat while using a fork and since most are made from stainless steel you can use them to move coals around to keep the heat even.
- Barbecue Fork: Like the tongs, a fork is an essential piece of equipment for turning and lifting the meat off the grill.
- Grill Brush: Cleaning your grill is part and parcel of grill maintenance, you will need a good steel brush to clean off burnt on and leftover food after cooking.
- Wide Spatula: Not everything you cook will be able to be flipped with tongs or a fork, and for that, you’re going to need a spatula. Get a wider one; they can flip smaller foods like burgers or more prominent, more delicate food like fish.
There are plenty of different tools you can get for the barbecue, but these are the basics you will need to make great food and to do it safely.